Step One in the Process of Returning to India
PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!!!!!!!!!!!
The first step I found to be useful was to make a list of reasons why I wanted to go back. For me this list included items that I did not have in US and I could not live without. They were ones I continued to need even after spending a large amount of my life in U.S.
Here are some tips I found useful once I had made the decision to go back:
1. Set a date for when you want come back, because without it you cannot be sure that are ever coming back. I had a family problem, but I still came close to meeting my deadline date.
2. Do you want to bring the shipping container? If the answer is yes, then start making a list of what you want. Also make a list items which you want to buy new. I will share my list with you in a later post.
3. Regarding money, set a target as to how much you need in the bank regardless of whether in India or abroad. This is a must. Along with this, you should ask whether you want to take a job or if you have enough to retire. I will write more in detail in a later post about what I will be doing with my retirement fund and how much of a percentage I will convert to Indian Rupees.
4. Take a job or take few months off and look for job in India.
5. Regarding school, this I have found to be the hardest part. Shortlist the schools you like and try to find the admission procedures. Also it will very helpful if you know someone in the school. While we did get our son admitted to a decent school, we could not get him into the school we had wanted, even though we followed all the rules of the school admission.
6. Regarding a house/home, decide where you want to live. If you will rent you are in good shape, because buying is really very expensive here. My home is 2,000 sq.ft. and in a decent area of the city. If I were to sell my home here, I could easily buy a very good single family home in Miami. However, I cannot imagine buying a property in India now. One small bedroom condo/flat costs around $40,000-$50,000 in Indore. Also if our home were newly constructed, it would take lot of time and even more money to renovate.
Again make a list of why you want to come back and plan, plan, plan!